Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Andrew Bannecker contact

Got in touch with this guy, Andrew Bannecker. Here's what he had to say for himself.



















Hi Roland,

Sorry for the delay. Here you go! : )

1) Where do you get these patterns and textures from?
My textures and patterns come from all sorts of places. I create many of them by hand and others I find from found object that I get at flea markets and antique shops. I love to find bits of fabric and old ephemera and use those to create my textures.

2) Clearly you do a lot of printing of various types. Is this the result of a fascination with process or the act of doing something handmade?
I actually create everything on my computer. Since I work digitally I use those tools to create the printed effects. I do love printing and I think that's why I tend to create those effects in my digital work.

3) Sometimes it looks like you've printed on to wood, or wallpaper. Is that right?
Working digitally gives me the advantage to look at different ways that my work can look and then go from there. So when a piece looks like it was created on wood it's all digitally manipulate to look that way.

4) Also I've noticed pieces of newspaper and things like that in the background of your pieces. Are these textures ever added with photoshop or otherwise how much of that textural background stuff to you get through?
As before I take these pieces and scan them in to manipulate them for my needs. The way I work is most always by accident. I never know what's going to come of it which is why working digitally is so wonderful!

5) How close is the finished image to your initial conception?
With commercial work this can varies from project to project but in general my concept is pretty close to the final art. There are those cases when the final looks nothing like the original idea but those are far and few between.

6) I mean a lot of your images are very busy and presumably come about through a lot of play and trying different things. And this question ties in with the adding with photoshop question; if you're using pieces of found wood and such how much playing with that stuff can you afford to do?
I think it's very important to play and grow. I would say it's crucial to explore and never stop trying new things.

7) I mean how many interesting backgrounds/canvasses have you gathered?
To be honest I have been collecting for years so I would say countless. ; ) lol

See where I asked him about all his work being printed? And then he says how it's all digital? GOD I AM A MORON ALL THE TIME. http://www.andrewbannecker.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment